While my affair with chicken is on hold for now, I do have a fantastic recipe to share. I had originally dreamt up this beet chili on Valentine's Day, but you may remember that I completely destroyed the beets (and the pot) that they were cooking in. I decided to give it another try using the crockpot to avoid any issues.
I ate beets for the first time about 6 months ago, and now I can't get enough of them. I even ate slices of a raw beet while I was chopping them, and they were delicious! The texture was like a beautifully crisp apple, and the flavor was so rich. Anything with this much color is good in my book. I experimented with some cumin and paprika in this recipe to give it a little chili flavor. I will try this out again with extra spice and a non-chicken alternative (ground lamb anyone?). Eat your beets for vitamin C, folate, beta-carotene, manganese, potassium, and iron. Not too shabby for a cold winter day!
Crockpot Chicken Chili w/ Beets & Kale:
Serves 8-10, Prep time: 30 min, Cook time: 6 hours
- 2 lb. organic chicken breasts (frozen or fresh)
- 2 sweet onions, chopped
- 2+ Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 3 large beets, peeled & chopped
- 2 14.5oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 qt. organic vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- Heat olive oil over medium heat
- Add onions and garlic and cook for 10 minutes until soft
- Pour the cans of tomatoes on the bottom of the crockpot
- Lay the chicken breasts on top of the tomatoes
- Cover the chicken with the onions and garlic, and then top with cumin, paprika, and pepper
- Add the beets on top and then pour the broth over everything
- Cook in the crockpot for 5 hours on high or 7-8 on low
- Take the chicken out, shred it, and then return it to the pot
- Add the chopped kale into the crockpot, cook on low for 10 more minutes, and then serve!