I have inadvertently become the gadget queen. My latest addition to the kitchen is an awesome Misto sprayer that I use for olive oil. It was only $9.99 from Bed, Bath, and Beyond ($8 with the coupon!). It basically sprays your oil like traditional cooking sprays but without the chemical additives. It was a little stiff at first, but after a few uses, it is really perfect now. You can save a lot of olive oil by using one of these - you can perfectly cover pans, veggies, salads, etc. with a fraction of the oil.
Today's recipe was supposed to be a traditional turkey meatloaf, but I got a little creative (aka carried away) in the kitchen. I decided the meatloaf should have a lot of veggies in it, and then I realized my food processor has been lonely lately, so I threw everything in there. The finely chopped spinach/veggie mixture turned my meatloaf green, and then I decided to bake it in a pie dish. The meatloaf quickly transformed into a spinach pie/quiche lookalike. In reality, the consistency is similar to your typical meatloaf, but the added veggies and herbs give it a great distinct flavor. This is an incredibly quick and easy dinner to prepare - mix all the ingredients in a bowl, and then pop it in the oven. Serve with salad or some freshly steamed veggies, and you're good to go!
Spinach & Mushroom Turkey Pie
Serves 5, Prep time: 15 min, Cook time: 30 min
- 1.25 lb. ground turkey (or other ground meat of choice)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 4 medium button mushrooms
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Add spinach to food processor and pulse until finely chopped
- Add mushrooms and onion and pulse until chopped
- Put veggie mixture, ground meat, and all other ingredients in a bowl, and mix until well combined
- Press meat mixture into a pie dish or arrange it on a cookie sheet in the shape of your choice (heart for Valentine's day anyone?)
- Bake for 45 minutes until cooked through (toothpick should come out clean)
- Let sit for 5 minutes, and then slice and enjoy!