OK people - we officially have the mystery of a lifetime. You know the whole OJ Simpson debacle? Well, this isn't exactly the same, but it is equally thrilling. I woke up this morning and noticed a box on my counter from Amazon when I went to get a glass of water. I am assuming my roommate saw it in the lobby and put it there for me. I opened the box and found this cut resistant glove with "maximum protection for employees who cut meat or fish". There was no note, no receipt, no trail of anything. There are only a few people who could have sent this:
1. Ryan - After he sent me the dehydrator, I bought a mandolin, and he is convinced I will sever my hand or at least a few fingers any day now.
2. Evan - He has the perfect sense of humor and has made me crazy with mystery things like this in the past (anyone remember the Scottish voicemail fiasco?!)
3. Steph - She sliced open her hand cutting a bagel on a winter day when we were young, and then proceeded to wave her hand around screaming getting blood everywhere. After that, cutting safety has been a key focal point in our friendship.
4. Mom - She knows that she somehow raised the clumsiest daughter imaginable, and she is always looking out for my well-being. By the way mom, I am still really sorry about dropping that entire gallon of milk on the kitchen floor!
5. An unknown coworker - I am getting a lot of heat in Stamford for being "Sooo Paleo", so maybe someone is just giving me a hard time...
6. Mal - The list wouldn't be complete without her. I don't think it's her, but she knows me the best and would clearly see the benefits of such a practical gift.
If anyone and I mean anyone has information about this mysterious cut-resistant glove that appeared in my kitchen this morning, please contact me immediately!!
On a very unrelated note, I attempted to make some paleo bread yesterday after watching Ryan make an awesome loaf of bread in Dubai. Some may say I am competitive, but I like to think that I just wanted to get in on the excitement. This bread is interesting... it tastes good, but it has a very unique texture. Picture a dog eating peanut butter smacking its tongue against its mouth and then picture me doing that eating this bread. That pretty much sums it up. With a little almond butter and jam (neither of which I had), this would be fantastic. I will probably tweak this recipe and play with it a bit, but this definitely is a nice breakfast/side bread for anyone looking for a paleo or low carb substitute.
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 6 eggs or 3/4 cup egg whites (I used the whites)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl (use your hands at the end so it becomes more dough-like)
- Put dough in a greased loaf pan
- Bake 30-35 minutes until lightly brown (note - this bread will hardly rise)