When I first started paleo, I decided the easiest way to get going was to trade in my go-to oatmeal every morning for an easy egg dish. There are plenty of egg-less paleo breakfast options, but since I was comfortable with eggs, I decided to experiment with baked frittatas/casseroles. I had only eaten egg whites for years, so the pictures here are strictly with egg whites. Now that I have learned to love my farm fresh yolks, I would recommend making these with the real deal to get all of the vitamins, nutrients, and protein in the yolks.
I have made so many varieties of this recipe (will post more in the upcoming days), and they are all perfect to make Sunday evening or Monday morning so you have a healthy, protein-filled breakfast all week long.
- 1 carton egg whites or 10-12 eggs, beaten
- 2 small-medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups+ spinach
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced & chopped
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- Salt, pepper, & garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat
- Add onions and cook down for about 7-10 minutes until soft
- Add sweet potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and cook another 10 min
- When sweet potatoes are soft, add spinach and cook another 1-3 minutes until spinach wilts softly
- Grease pan with coconut oil, and add veggie mixture
- Pour egg whites (or beaten eggs) on top of the mixture, and bake for 30 minutes or until set