There's no better excuse to cook a great meal than a party for a dear friend. While I'd prefer to be celebrating at a welcome-home party, I had to settle for a going-away feast. My friend/coworker/mum Ryan shipped off for Dubai last week for a 2-year assignment overseas (here we are - that's me stuffed into his armpit).
He came to Boston for a last hurrah, and we had our friends over for some Mexican-inspired paleo eats. Ryan chose the theme, and we prepared some spiced cantaloupe, veggies & guacamole, and grass-fed beef stuffed sweet peppers for appetizers:
It is important to note that Ryan made the beautiful lettuce "flower" as the veggie centerpiece (I want to make sure I do not receive any credit for this masterpiece). The main course was lettuce wrap tacos stuffed with crockpot pork carnitas and topped with a strawberry/pineapple/avocado salsa. The meal was wonderful, the company couldn't have been better (thanks Heather and Kenny!), and we had a great time. After a whirlwind of a week full of amazing adventures, I returned home to Boston and was hungry like usual. All I had in the house was about 5 pounds of leftover carnitas in my crockpot and about 8 large sweet peppers. I decided that I needed a little "goodbye soup" for the soul, so I created the following recipe. I ate it all week and even discovered that soup for breakfast is amazing... don't just trust me, try it!
Pork Carnitas Ingredients:
- 2 4-5lb pork loin roasts (can also use pork shoulder or butt)
- 2 large onions, sliced
- Chopped garlic (I must have used at least 10 cloves)
- 1 container of cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups of broth (I used chicken)
- 4 bay leaves
- Sea salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and any other spices you want to add!
- Lay sliced onions and chopped garlic in the bottom of the crockpot
- Put your pork on top (I did fat side up)
- Season very generously with all seasonings
- Add box of cherry tomatoes and broth
- Cook on low for 10 hours
- Shred the pork with kitchen tongs and stir so juices mix - keep warm and serve when hungry!
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil or other paleo fat
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5-10 cloves garlic, chopped (can you tell I love garlic?)
- 8 large sweet peppers, chopped
- 1 large can (32 oz.?) organic roasted tomatoes with basil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Sea salt & pepper
- Heat fat in a large saucepan and add onions and garlic
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until softened and fragrant and then add chopped peppers
- Add sea salt and pepper and stir every couple of minutes for about 5-10 minutes until peppers begin to soften
- Add can of roasted tomatoes and chicken broth
- Bring pot to boil and then cover, turn to low/medium-low, and cook for 30-45 minutes
- Take pot off heat, and after it cools slightly (~10 minutes), use immersion blender to blend the soup. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can blend this in batches in your blender or food processor.
- Serve with a dollop of shredded pork carnitas
- Rename Goodbye Soup to See-You-Later Soup (way better ring to it...)